The History of Edgworth, Lancashire
Edgworth is of Anglo-Saxon origin, denoting a village in the hills and has had many spellings, from 'Eggwrthe' in 1212, Egewurth in 1221, and in 1277 Eggeswrth and Edgeword and Eggeworth in the year 1292. In the 19th century the preferred spelling was "Edgeworth", although "Edgworth", as used by the Post Office, is now the standard spelling.
The village is especially rich in the number of 'Folds' formed in the 17th century. The title usually indicates the enclosure of a farmstead and associated cottages. Isherwood Fold, off Blackburn Road is a good example. Other examples are Horrocks Fold, Thomasson Fold and Brandwood Fold.
Five small hamlets also make up the area of the village – Quarlton, Turton Bottoms at the south-east point, with Entwistle, Round Barn and Whittlestone Head to the west.
Although the character of Edgworth has always been rural, during the 19th century a number of textile mills were built around the village. Most industry has now left the area and since the 1970s a number of suburban housing developments have expanded the core of the village.
The History of The White Horse Pub
The White Horse Pub and the Post Office were the first two buildings created in the village at the end of the 18th century; when the crossroads were first created, and there is still an underground tunnel under the two buildings which local farmers used for driving cattle during wartime. The White Horse building is a listed building dating back to 1790.
The White Horse was taken over by a local family company in September 2013 and is run by Alexander James Dickenson (Managing Director) and his friendly team.
The historic Edgworth Pub went through a costly refurbishment in January 2015 retaining it's original traditional features and welcoming approach.
The White Horse Today...
Our Local Area - Edgworth
Edgworth is a small village within the borough of Blackburn with Darwen, Lancashire, England. It is north east of North Turton between Broadhead Brook on the west (expanded artificially to form the Wayoh Reservoir) and Quarlton Brook in the south east. The ground ranges from 650 feet (200 m) to 1,100 feet (340 m) above sea level.
Edgworth is part of the Rossendale and Darwen constituency. Jake Berry has been the Member of Parliament for Rossendale and Darwen since 2010.
Edgworth is renowned to walkers as it is very picturesque. Two large reservoirs, the Wayoh Reservoir, and the Turton and Entwistle Reservoir, are located north-east of the village, and the Jumbles Reservoir is near Turton Bottoms. They supply water to the Bolton area.
Edgworth has a cricket team, Edgworth Cricket Club, in the Bolton Association. Formed in 1902, they now play continuously in the season on the Recreational Ground adjacent to the Barlow.
Another successful recreational club competing in two leagues is of course the Edgworth Village Institute Bowling Club. Founded in 1900, they play crown green bowls on the green adjacent to the Barlow Institute.
Edgworth is also home to the oldest club in Lancashire Turton FC who currently play in the West Lancs League for open age and the Bolton and Bury Junior District Football League (BBDJFL) for its junior teams. The club has recently been awarded the prestigious Charter Status from the Lancs FA as the new Committee continue their task to turn the club's fortunes around after nearly folding in 2010.
Turton Tower, Chapeltown Road, Turton
The Wayoh Reservoir, Edgworth
The Barlow, Bolton Road, Edgworth